As was done during the 2012 Saint John Municipal Election, Sarah Ingalls (@s_ingalls) and Sally Blount (@SaintJohnSally), are reaching out to the various Ward 3 by-election candidates to ask a set of questions, and I will be posting the responses for everyone to see.
The questions and answers generated a lot of traffic last time, and we hope to do the same again – allowing voters in Ward 3 an opportunity to hear more from each candidate to allow them to make an informed decision!
Below are the questions being asked to each candidate via email:
1. What are your top two priorities?
2. What is your professional background and training?
3. What is your volunteer experience?
4. What are your thoughts on the current city transit situation?
5. Are you familiar with the bus system and have you used it on a regular basis?
6. What do you see as Ward 3′s biggest issues?
7. Are you willing to address issues with city staff and do any restructuring that may need to be done?
8. Do you support the creation of a Multiplex in Saint John?
9. What improvements do you feel can be made to Saint John’s current garbage/compost collection?
10. Do you support the return of food trucks to Saint John?
11. There has been recent discussion on the state of the Jellybean Houses (purchased by the city in case they were needed when constructing the Peel Plaza complex and parking garage) and how the city should proceed with these houses. Opinions vary between the buildings being unsalvageable and should be torn down, to restoring the properties. How do you feel the city should proceed?
12. Recent news articles have highlighted issues with upcoming union contract negotiations, specifically the guaranteed staffing levels for Outside Workers Local 18, and the no layoff clause for the Saint John Police Association (with the understanding they report to the Police Commission). Given these provisions are not carried over in other union contracts, or to other departments within the city, what challenges/opportunities do you feel this presents for the city of Saint John?